Triggers: Once again, many of the topics that I address can raise troubling and painful memories. If the title doesn't include the specific trigger for that post, please check the "labels" listed at the bottom of each individual post. Please let me know if there's anything that I can do to improve these warnings!
Footnotes: You can't make it through grad school without getting persnickety about references. I've provided a list (APA Format) for references used in each blog post.
Recovery on the Run: Mental Illness
Recovery on the Run: Mental Illness
- Beebe L, Smith K, Burk R, Dessieux O, Velligan D, Tavakoli A & Tennison C (2010). Effect of a motivational group intervention on exercise self-efficacy and outcome expectations for exercise in schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 16(2), pp. 105–113.
- Bezyak, J., Berven, N., & Chan, F. (2011). Stages of change and physical activity among individuals with severe mental illness. Rehabilitation Psychology, 56(3), pp. 182–190.
- Bradshaw, T., Lovell, K., Bee, P., & Campbell, M. (2010). The development and evaluation of a complex health education intervention for adults with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 17(6), pp. 473–486.
- Evans, J., & Repper, J. (2000). Employment, social inclusion and mental health. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 7, pp. 15–24.
- Faulkner, G., Taylor, A., Munro, S., Selby, P., Gee, C. (2007). The acceptability of physical activity programming within a smoking cessation service for individuals with severe mental illness. Patient Education and Counseling, 66, pp. 123–126.
- Hodgins, S., Lincoln, T., Mak, T. (2008). Experiences of victimisation and depression are associated with community functioning among men with schizophrenia. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 44(6), pp. 448-57.
- Hu, H., Wu, C., Chou, Y., Huang, N. (2012). Body mass index and mental health problems in general adults: Disparity in gender and socioeconomic status. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, (72), pp. 393–398.
- Khazaal, Y., Fresard, E., Rabia, S., Chatton, A., Rothen, S., Pomini, V., Grasset, F. Borgeat, F., Zullino, D. (2007). Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for weight gain associated with antipsychotic drugs. Schizophrenia Research, 91, pp. 169–177.
- Tooth, B., Kalyanasundaram, V., Glover, H., Momenzadah, S. (2003). Factors consumers identify as important to recovery from schizophrenia. Australian Psychiatry, 11, pp. 70-77.
- Vancampfort, D., De Hert, M., Maurissen, K., Sweers, K., Knapen, J., Raepsaet, J., Probst, M. (2011). Physical activity participation, functional exercise capacity and self-esteem in patients with schizophrenia. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, 18(4), pp. 222-230.
- Vreeland, B., Minsky, S., Gara, M., Toto, A., Kosseff, C., Verna, M., Haytas, L. (2010). Solutions for wellness: Results of a manualized psychoeducational program for adults with psychiatric disorders. American Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 13, pp. 55-72.
- World Health Organization (2012). Schizophrenia. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/schizophrenia/en
- Sontag, S. (1989). Illness as metaphor and AIDS and its metaphors. New York, NY: Picador.
- Woolf, Virginia (1926). Illness -- An unexplained mine. The Forum, pp. 582-590. Retrieved from http://www.unz.org/Pub/Forum-1926apr-00582?View=PDF.
My Journey on Depo Provera, Part 4 - HIT, the Aftermath
- Liew DF, Ng CS, Yong YM & Ratnam SS. Long-term effects of Depo-Provera on carbohydrate and lipid metabolism. Contraception, 1985; 31(1): 51-64.
- Pharmacia and Upjohn Company. Depo Provera. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=11565 Updated August 2009. Accessed January 13, 2014.
- Zhou J, Lee AW, Devidze N, Zhang O, Kow L & Pfaff DW (2007). Histamine-induced excitatory responses in mouse ventromedial hypothalamic neurons: Ionic mechanisms and estrogenic regulation. J Neurophysiology, 2007; 98(6): 3143-3152
- Zierau O, Zenclussen AC, & Jensen F. Role of female sex hormones, estradiol and progesterone, in mast cell behavior. Front Immunol, 2012; 3: 169
- Jonassen F, Granerus G, Wetterqvist H. Histamine metabolism during the menstrual cycle. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand, 1976; 55(4): 297-304.
- Cheves S. The many faces of histamine intolerance. Healthy Pixels Website. http://healthypixels.com/?p=1044. Updated December 17, 2012. Accessed January 13, 2014.
- Barrett‐O'Keefe Z, Kaplon RE & Halliwill JR. Sustained postexercise vasodilatation and histamine receptor activation following small muscle‐mass exercise in humans. Exp physiol, 2013; 98(1): 268-277.
- Andersen ML, Bittencourt LR, Antunes IB, Tufik S. Effects of progesterone on sleep: a possible pharmacological treatment for sleep-breathing disorders? Curr Med Chem, 2006; 13(29): 3575-82.
- Pharmacia & Upjohn Company. Depo Provera. Pfizer Canada Website. http://www.pfizer.ca/en/our_products/products/monograph/181. Updated December 23, 2013. Retrieved March 23, 2014.